Wednesday 7 December 2011

You Won’t Go Wrong With MX300

The MX series has historically been Mizuno's line of game improvement irons for a while, and though the new MX-1000 may fall squarely in that category, the Mizuno MX-300 Irons is meant to bleed the edge between game-improvement iron and player's iron. With so many different options to choose from, there's a Mizuno iron made for every type of player out there.
Straddling the gap between the MP and MX ranges, the Mizuno MX-300 Irons provide the perfect bridge - offering the looks and feel of a forged iron while delivering the benefits of an undercut cavity. The now-retired MX-23 did the job beautifully when it was launched in 2004 and the Mizuno MX-300 Irons are clearly an updated version of that classic set.

Upon unpacking the Mizuno MX-300Irons, I was a little surprised, as I didn't expect them to be as attractive as they were. They are much more elegant in person than they are in the pictures. At that point, I really didn't know what to expect in terms of performance, because surely MX-level forgiveness couldn't come in a package that looked almost MP-like at address. Once I took them out for their first test, I realized how wrong I was.
Set up was simple, as they are free of the large amount of offset that is present on some GI irons. Looking down at them, I almost swore I was looking down at my familiar Nike Victory Red Split Cavities. The top line was very similar, though not quite as thin as my VR forged blades.
The Mizuno MX-300 Irons key to achieving this balance is the make-up of the set. While each club is Grain Flow Forged from a single block of mild carbon steel and features a specially-configured ‘Y-Tune' pad behind the face, the long and mid-irons, compared to the short irons are very different. Irons 3-7 have a pocket cavity on the rear of the club that moves 12 grams of weight lower and further back to encourage a higher launch and a tad more forgiveness.

I'd absolutely recommend these Mizuno MX-300 Irons to anyone that can hit the ball in a fairly consistent manner. If you're stuck in a spot where you cannot decide between players iron and game improvement iron, the Mizuno MX-300 Irons may very well be exactly what you're looking for. I also think these would be a great long iron option in a mixed set along with either the MP-58 or MP-68. Whether you opt for a full set or mixed, I fully believe these irons are an excellent choice that can give you the best a game improvement iron has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment